Thursday, September 26, 2013

Escaping to Thugga, North Africa

Things have been pretty hectic lately, and especially this coming weekend.

I'm moving house and as a result, I'm caught up in campaign to load up my life, which includes about 25 boxes of books.

I feel like I'm caught up in an exciting adventure, but also a logistical chaos that can only be likened to Caesar's conquest of Gaul.

Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Needless to say I don't have a big post for you this week. The Gauls have us surrounded - or in this case, the Russian movers are coming.

But, I do want to share a photo with you.


On my oh-so-brief lunch breaks, I've been doing the final edits for Killing the Hydra which I'm hoping to get out just before Christmas.

It has been a long time since I've read Killing the Hydra all the way through and I'm pleased that it still has me riveted. I think you will enjoy it.

A portion of the book takes place in North Africa in the Roman city of Thugga.

When I went to this place a few years ago, I was blown away by the fact that this almost completely intact city, mosaics and all, was just sitting there, deserted, its mosaics open to the sky.

I was able to walk the cobbled streets of this magnificent place and explore the baths, the public latrine, the Capitol, the brothel, the theatre and so much more. It really is one of the most amazing places I've ever been to.

How could I not set part of my book there?

In Killing the Hydra, Lucius end up in Thugga. He's in trouble too, and the only person that can help him is a Punic prostitute by the name of Dido.

That's all I can say for now. I just wanted to show you the place where these two meet, the streets from which Lucius barely escapes with his life.

I'll post more updates soon, as well as a cover-reveal for Killing the Hydra.

In the meantime, if the story has piqued your interest, you'll want to check out the first book in the Eagles and Dragons series, Children of Apollo.

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you on the other side of my move!


No comments: